top of page

Resident Resources

Below are some resources for residents of Union Square.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram


To preserve the historic character and exquisite architectural details of our neighborhood, Union Square was designated a Baltimore City historic district in 1970. Our neighborhood is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The city’s Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation (CHAP) reviews all changes to the exterior of buildings in Union Square, including windows, doors, lighting, painting, additions, fencing and landscaping. Building owners can find lots of helpful information on the CHAP website here, including the Design Guidelines which must be followed. Our residential CHAP officer is also available to answer any questions: Juan Rivera

Before undertaking any exterior work, property owners must submit an application using the following steps:

  • Prior to making any changes, complete a CHAP Application-for-Notice-to-Proceed describing the work that you intend to complete. Download the application here. Be sure to include all photos and supporting materials listed on page 3 of the application.

  • Then, email your application to the current CHAP planner

CHAP will issue a Notice to Proceed directly to the property owner, who may then obtain a building permit and undertake the improvements. Please tape the Notice to Proceed and the building permits inside your front window. Minor changes and repairs that comply with the Design Guidelines may be approved by CHAP without a formal presentation.

If an owner does work without first obtaining a Notice to Proceed and a building permit, he or she may be subject to housing code violations and fines.

A certified rehabilitation may qualify for property tax benefits through CHAP at 410-396-4866 and/or a state tax credit through the Maryland Historical Trust at 410-514-7600, or online here.

Report Street Light Outages

District 40 Representative Bills

bottom of page